CCV Operational Committee Terms of Reference
The CCV Operational Committee is governed by the CCV Board of Directors.
The CCV Operational Committee reports to the CCV Board of Directors. The Chair of the CCV Operational Committee attends the quarterly CCV Board Meetings, and reports on operational goals and any potential operational concerns. Board members will receive minutes from the Operational Committee meetings.
- The Chair is responsible for setting the meeting agenda, facilitating the meeting, and working with the Executive Director to bring items forward to the Board of Directors. The Chair is appointed by the President of the Board, and is normally from the same organization. The duration of the Chair's mandate is linked to that of the President of the Board.
- If, for any reason, the Chair is unavailable, the second representative from that organization will fulfill the duties of Chair in the Chair's absence.
- The committee includes the CCV Executive Director, two representatives from CIHR, two representatives from NSERC, and two representatives from SSHRC. Members should have extensive knowledge of the CCV, and should be able to speak to/represent both the business and IT requirements of the Agencies represented.
- If, for any reason, a member of the operational committee is not able to attend a meeting, he/she may select a representative to attend in his/her place with the approval of the Chair.
- The committee will include a CCV staff member who will represent the CCV and offer knowledge regarding CCV in order to facilitate the committee decision-making process.
- The committee will include a SSHRC/NSERC IIS member representing IM/IT to facilitate decision-making and follow-up action especially related to the implementation of the Research Portal.
- The committee will also include a Recording Secretary who will be responsible for taking minutes during the meeting, for writing up the meeting minutes, for identifying any follow-up action, and for distributing meeting materials to the committee.
Members are normally appointed for an initial term of one year with the option of renewal for additional terms as required. The committee membership replacement process will be staggered to ensure continuity, while allowing the rotation of representatives to achieve optimal membership with expertise in operational governance.
Meetings are held every month.
Meeting location will alternate between CIHR (160 Elgin St) and NSERC/SSHRC (350 Albert St).
In order for a committee meeting to be called to order, there must be sufficient attendance from voting members to achieve quorum. For the CCV Operational Committee, quorum is defined as at least a 50% + 1 membership attendance. Furthermore, at least one representative from each agency (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC and CCV) must be in attendance in order for quorum to be met.
The committee will discuss all pertinent items. Once all discussion on an item requiring a vote has finished, the Chair will call for a vote. He/she will ask for those in favour of the motion to raise their hands. The Chair will then ask for anyone who is opposed to the motion to raise their hands. The Chair will then ask for any abstainers. A consensus is required from attending voting members to pass any motion. If a consensus is not reached, motions may be escalated to the CCV Board of Directors for decision.
Agenda item will be identified at the end of each meeting for the following meeting and be compiled as the month proceeds. Any committee member (including CCV staff) is invited to submit agenda items to the Chair. Items and supporting documents must be submitted at least one week prior to the next scheduled meeting.
The forward agenda, action items, and any required documentation will be distributed to committee members at least one week prior to the following committee meeting. The meeting minutes will be circulated to committee members as soon as possible following the meeting. The minutes will also be shared with the CCV Board of Directors.
The CCV Operational Committee acts in an operational governing capacity for the CCV Board of Directors, and is responsible for the operational direction of CCV and oversight of its daily operational activities.
The CCV Operational Committee will fulfill its work by relying on the following guiding principles:
- Ensure that the proper impact and risk assessments have been completed for any change requests where system modifications are required
- Ensure that an appropriate change control process is established and followed
- Enhance the CCV change control process
- Maintain oversight of CCV at an operational level
The Role of the Operational Committee is to:
- Review CCV issues and approve a prioritized list
- Discuss, prioritize, and approve all substantive change requests
- Approve the changes that will occur for each CCV "Release"
- Make recommendations to the Board on a multi-year strategic and operational plans for the CCV
- Review all communication pieces going to CCV Stakeholders
- Report Operational Activities to the Board on a Regular Basis
- Chair of Operational Committee and ED will report to Board
The CCV Operational Committee has the authority to:
- Create subcommittees and working groups
- Hold meetings as required
- Make decisions using an ad hoc process where appropriate/ required
- Invite resource people and experts to meetings
- Make decisions of an operational nature when consensus is reached by committee members
An evaluation of the Operational Committee and its progress will be performed on a yearly basis, and the results from the evaluation (in the form of a report) will be shared with the Board in the Spring of each year.
Appointments to the CCV Operational Committee will be made by the CCV Board Member of each respective granting agency.
Terms of Reference
Created: December 9th, 2013
Approved: July 11, 2014
Revised : September 17, 2015
Revisions approved: October 6, 2015 and March 24, 2016.